A successful online marketing campaign begins with setting clear and measurable goals that are in line with your overall business objectives, and a clear plan of action to achieve those goals.
Setting goals is key to the success of your Reddit marketing campaign. Understanding what you are trying to achieve there will help you develop the right strategy. You need to have a clear focus of what you’re trying to accomplish.
One of the biggest benefits of setting goals is that they allow you to plan out and create the specific tactics and strategies that you’ll be using to achieve those goals.
Setting goals also allows you to review and evaluate the success of your campaign. If you don’t set goals, you won’t know how your marketing efforts are panning out. You won’t know how far or how close you are to accomplishing your overall business goals.
What is a goal?
A goal is a statement that is rooted in your mission statement. Your mission statement defines what you want to accomplish, and it generally offers a broad direction for your business to follow.
There are 3 main goals that every online business wants to achieve.
- To increase conversions and sales;
- To reduce costs; and
- To improve customer service.
To help you achieve these goals, you need to define micro goals within those main goals.
Examples of micro goals within the main goal of increasing conversions and sales include:
- To drive targeted traffic from Reddit to your sales funnel.
- To increase brand awareness.
- To build brand authority and reputation as an expert.
- To connect with the emotions of your target community.
- To increase the number of qualified leads that we generate from Reddit.
- To increase online visibility.
- To build a targeted list of email subscribers.
- To increase business in the Los Angeles area.
- To become recognized as a thought leader in your industry.
The micro goal within the overall goal of reducing costs is to decrease spending on traditional forms of advertising and invest in social media marketing.
Furthermore, the micro goal within the overall goal of improving customer service is to increase customer satisfaction while reducing the cost of supporting your customers.
Benefits of Setting Goals
Setting goals can help your campaign become more disciplined and structured. Your goals and objectives are going to influence how you setup your profile, what subreddits you join, your content strategy and engagement strategy.
Furthermore, every decision you make should ultimately support your specific goals and objectives.
By having a singular focus, you’re less likely to share content that your personas will not engage with because you understand their goals, wants and pain points. You’re also less likely to do anything that will come in the way of achieving those goals.
When you’re able to establish the overall goal of your campaign, you’ll be able to analyse the effectiveness of your Reddit marketing strategy.
Without such a clear starting point to measure from, it would be more be difficult to understand how the results you generate from the campaign will actually benefit your business.
When establishing your Reddit marketing goals, provide clear answers to the following questions:
- What exactly do you want to achieve? What are the results you want to generate from Reddit?
- How will your Reddit campaign make a difference to your overall business goals?
- How many subreddits should you join? That is really important because there are thousands of subreddits but some of us can accomplish all of our goals in 2 or 3 subreddits.
- What benefits will your ideal customer gain from your Reddit marketing campaign?
- What type of discussions will you be contributing to on a daily basis?
- How will accomplishing your Reddit goals benefit your personal brand? In this regard, understanding why you have set a specific goal is key to making it all the more effective.
- What content assets will resonate with your target audience to help you achieve your Reddit goals?
- How will you evaluate the success of your Reddit marketing campaign?
Defining Your Objectives
When you set your goals, go further by defining your objectives using the S.M.A.R.T. philosophy. Your objectives are what you’ll use to qualify your goals.
They are the specific, measurable campaign results you want to achieve within a defined time frame. This process begins with setting S.M.A.R.T objectives. S.M.A.R.T. stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-constrained.
Let’s look at how to define our Reddit S.M.A.R.T. objectives in more detail.
When you set an objective, start by identifying intent. And then refine that intent with specific numbers, percentages, increases or decreases, and a completion date. For example, if you have a goal of driving targeted traffic to your site, your objective could be:To increase traffic to my site from Reddit by 25% within the next 6 months.
Setting clear targets allow you to evaluate whether you’re making the progress you expect. For example, consider the following statement: “Generate leads from the small business subreddit.” That’s not a measurable objective because you haven’t specified an amount. You need to be much more specific. For example, you could say: To boost revenue by 15% in the 25-34-year-old demographic over the next 3 months. This is a measurable goal. The result is something that can be measured.
The objectives you set for yourself should be challenging to make you stretch, but shouldn’t be impossible to achieve. For example, ensure the time and resources that are required to achieve an objective are directly proportionate both to the available resources and the results you’re going to get. Wanting to increase newsletter signups by 5000% within 2 weeks is attainable, but it is not very realistic.
Relevant objectives are those that further the aim of your main goal on Reddit. For example, you need to register yourself in relevant subreddits. If you are posting in subreddits that are not relevant to your business, the results you get are not going to be relevant.
Your goals and objectives should be given a target date. Once an objective is time-constrained, the goal will be given a sense of urgency. This urgency encourages a commitment to the deadline that helps to focus your effort on an on-time completion of the goal. For example, to grow the number of redditors who make online purchases by 25% by October 2018.
Examples of SMART objectives:
- Increase sales of product X by X%.
- Build an audience of X number fans/followers on Facebook within six months.
- Increase number of followers by 50 per week.
- Increase website traffic from Twitter platform by X% within 6 months.
- Increase opt-in list subscribers by 15% per week.
- Increase conversions from Reddit by X per week.
- Increase the number of leads generated from Reddit platform by X per week.
- Increase the number of new customers by X per month.
- Boost the average spend per customer by X.
- Increase sales from X country by X%.
Define your goals and objectives from the beginning. You would then adjust them as your Reddit presence expands. Having a clear vision of what should be achieved allows you to focus all of your efforts on achieving those goals.
Without understanding your goals and objectives from the outset, there is no concrete way of knowing whether all of your marketing efforts are succeeding or not.